SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Endicott football team lost to Western New England, 41-14, on Saturday afternoon in the Commonwealth Coast Football opener for both teams at Golden Bear Stadium.
Western New England charged out to a 24-0 lead about midway through the second quarter and never looked back. Highlighting the offensive outburst in the first half was Damond Davis (Springfield, Mass.) who returned the game's opening kickoff for a 90-yard touchdown. The Golden Bears also received a 26-yard field goal from Kieran Lombard (Dover, N.H.), a seven-yard TD pass from Anthony Service (Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) to Mark Dietrich (Cheshire, Conn.) and a 49-yard TD scamper from Peter Hoff (Shelton, Conn.) during that stretch.
Meanwhile, the Gulls saw Zach DeNike (Old Tappan, N.J.) register a 51-yard TD from Joe Kalosky (Plymouth, Conn.) with 1:04 left to play in the second quarter to make it 24-7, while Kalosky added a 27-yard TD run of his own at the 8:54 mark of the third (34-14 WNE).
- Kalosky went 22-for-36 passing alongside one TD pass, 286 yards total and two interceptions.
- Kalosky also led the team in rushing with 40 yards on the ground and his TD run in the third.
- DeNike finished the contest with a career-high 96 receiving yards via five catches. In addition to his standout receiving day, DeNike compiled 62 yards on returns (56 kick return | six punt return) to end the game with 158 all-purpose yards (game-high).
- Will Genaway (Hinsdale, Mass.) hauled in six catches for 55 yards and Lavante Wiggins (Pittsfield, Mass.) added six catches for 69 yards (both career-highs) from the backfield.
- William Rivera (Orangeburg, N.Y.) paced the defense with 11 tackles (five solo, six assisted), including one sack and two tackles for a loss.
- Luke Muir (Rochester, N.Y.) was second on the squad with sick tackles, while Sean Valente (Reading, Mass.) registered four tackles, and 2.5 sacks.
- As a team, the Gulls had five sacks for 35 yards and nine tackles for a loss, totaling 39 yards.
- Allen Gibson (Seymour, Conn.) nearly made the game 41-20 late in the contest but his 47-yard interception return for a touchdown with under nine minutes to play was called back due to an illegal block in the back penalty.
FOR WESTERN NEW ENGLAND
- Service totaled 200 yards through the air on 13 completions (25 attempts) and one touchdown.
- Hoff racked up 115 yards on the ground and two TDs on 16 carries.
- Dietrich guided the Golden Bears' receiving corps with 74 yards and a touchdown on five receptions.
- Mike Chirco (Weedsport, N.Y.) led the team in tackles with nine (five solo, four assisted) in addition to a fumble recovery.
- Sam Olsson (Milford, Conn.) ranked second in tackles with eight (three solo, five assisted). Olsson also picked off a pass, while Chris Quarles (Naugutuck, Conn.) had the other one for Western New England.
Endicott (1-5, 0-1 CCC) travels to Salve Regina on Saturday, October 21 for a league matchup at 12 PM. Western New England (4-2, 1-0 CCC) visits Becker in a conference showdown next Saturday at 2 PM.
(Photo credit - Allison Moore)