BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott field hockey team earned a 2-1 overtime victory over the University of New England (UNE) on Tuesday night at North Field.
Emylee Wood (Kensington, N.H.) netted the game-winner for the Gulls at the 77:12 mark to snap UNE's 22-game Commonwealth Coast Conference unbeaten streak, which dates back to the 2015 season.
Junior Sophia Cogliano (Saugus, Mass.) set up Wood's overtime heroics when she tied the game at 1-1 on a rebound with under four minutes remaining in regulation.
Meanwhile, UNE's Hannah Buckley (Leominster, Mass.) scored her sixth goal of the season at 57:58 to give the Nor'easters the slight 1-0 edge until Cogliano's tally.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Taylor Farrin (Danvers, Mass.) improves to 5-1 on the season and recorded 10 saves during the contest.
- Cogliano and Jaylin Grabau (Lynnfield, Mass.) paced the offense with four shots each.
- The Gulls recorded 11 corner opportunities, while UNE had six.
- The last time Endicott previously saw a win against the Nor'easters was on September 23, 2014. That contest also went into overtime and the Gulls' recorded a 3-2 victory.
FOR THE FOES
- Liz Sargent (South Burlington, Vt.) shifts to 5-2 overall and made six saves for the Nor'easters.
- UNE held the slight 19-16 shot advantage over the Gulls.
- Leading the offense was Vonde Saunders with five shots.
- University of New England received votes in this week's Penn Monto/NFHCA Division III Coaches Poll.
Endicott (5-1, 2-0 CCC) travels to Amherst on Thursday, September 21 at 7 p.m. UNE is on the road at Western New England on Friday, September 22 at 5 p.m.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)