BEVERLY, Mass. – Behind a hat-trick from Sophia Cogliano (Saugus, Mass.), the Endicott field hockey team defeated Cabrini, 4-1, in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon at North Field.
Cogliano wasted little time getting the Gulls on the scoreboard with her team-leading 12th goal of the season off of a rebound just 6:17 into the contest. After Jaylin Grabau (Lynnfield, Mass.) made it 2-0 at 11:49, the next two goals belonged to Cogliano at the 32:36 and 41:09 marks respectively.
Cabrini freshman forward Gabby Thompson (Maplewood, N.J.) eventually broke up the shutout at the 50:17 of the matchup, but Endicott goalkeeper Taylor Farrin (Danvers, Mass.) made three saves the rest of the way to preserve the win, and push the Gulls' winning streak to six straight games.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today marked the first-ever meeting between Endicott and Cabrini.
- Lauren Whitney (Poway, Calif.) and Grabau both had assists in the win, their second and third helpers, respectively this season.
- Farrin finished with six saves to move to 11-2 in cage on the year. She is now tied for ninth all-time with two other student-athletes for the most victories in a single-season by a Gull.
- Cogliano is one goal (14 total in 2017) shy of breaking into the top-10 single-season all-time goals list.
FOR THE FOES
- Thompson registered her first career collegiate goal with a hard shot into the right side of the cage to beat Farrin at the 50:17 mark of the game.
- Taylor Bookman (Philadelphia, Pa.) stopped 12 shots in the loss (4-6). Bookman has now made 10 or more saves in five games this season.
- Jess Tennett (Perkasie, Pa.) recorded her first defensive save of the year at 54:31 of the matchup.
Endicott (11-2) travels to the University of New England on Wednesday, October 11 at 4 PM. Cabrini (4-6) visits Gwynedd Mercy University next Wednesday at 6 PM.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)