BIDDEFORD, Maine – The Endicott field hockey team fell to the University of New England (UNE), 2-1, in a shootout on Wednesday evening at the Big Blue Turf.
UNE picked up their fourth straight win of the season in a shootout behind Kersey Boulay (Liberty, Maine) and Olivia Madore (Lyman, Maine) who converted their opportunities, and goalkeeper Liz Sargent (South Burlington, Vt.) who played a part in holding the Gulls scoreless on all four of their chances.
Tonight's game was extended to penalty strokes thanks to outstanding defensive efforts displayed in both overtime sessions. Each extra period featured a fast-paced, back-and-forth style of field hockey and a combined 12 shots, including seven saves - five of which were made by Endicott goalkeeper Taylor Farrin (Danvers, Mass.).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Madi Wood (Bristol, Vt.) notched her fifth goal of the season at the 28:38 mark of the first half to open the scoring. Wood found the back of the cage by striking home a loose ball directly in front of the goal after Jaylin Grabau's (Lynnfield, Mass.) pass from the right flank deflected off a defender and popped up into the air near her hip.
- Farrin finished with a game-high 10 saves, while Samantha Crowley (Leicester, Mass.) and Cameron Molinare (Simsbury, Conn.) each recorded one defensive save.
- Endicott defeated UNE earlier this season, 2-1, in overtime at home on Sepember 19.
FOR THE FOES
- In their last contest prior to tonight, the Nor'easters defeated No. 16 nationally ranked Bowdoin by a 1-0 score in overtime on the Big Blue Turf.
- The Nor'easters countered at 52:30 of the second half when Boulay blasted a shot into the net from the top of the circle after UNE's corner opportunity. Madore received an assist on the tally.
- UNE outshot Endicott 21-11 and won the corners matchup, 9-8.
Endicott (11-3, 6-1 CCC) hosts Salve Regina this Saturday, September 14 at 1 PM. Prior to the contest on Saturday, the Gulls' senior class will be honored for their contributions to the field hockey program and the Endicott Community. UNE (11-4, 7-1 CCC) welcomes Western New England to the Big Blue Turf this Saturday at 1 PM.