SALEM, Mass. – Junior forward Vinny Clifford (Danvers, Mass.) poured in a career-high 24 points (7-13 FG, 5-9 3PT, 5-6 FT) to lead the Endicott men's basketball team past Salem State, 96-79, on Tuesday night at Twohig Gymnasium.
Keith Brown (Pelham, N.H.) also added 21 points, seven rebounds and three assists in the win, while Matt McDevitt (Cumberland, Maine) notched 14 points, one assist and a block. Alongside Brown and McDevitt's performances, Joel Villa (Bronx, N.Y.) filled the stat sheet with a near triple-double on 11 points, eight rebounds, and seven assists.
A tightly contested matchup throughout, the Gulls finally pulled away from Salem State with 9:06 remaining (66-65 EC lead) thanks in large part to a 17-7 run fueled by Clifford (5 points), McDevitt (4), Villa (4), and Brown (2). Prior to Endicott's 17-7 spurt that resulted in an 83-72 lead with 4:28 to play, Salem State brought the game within one point on five separate occasions in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Joe Shehadi (Dorset, Vt.) contributed nine points, eight boards and two assists. It's the third time this season Shehadi has had five-plus points, four-plus rebounds, and two or more assists in a game.
- Nick Thibeault (Gorham, Maine) produced nine points, eight rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Endicott is 5-5 in the all-time series against Salem State.
- The Gulls assisted on 16 of their 30 made baskets (.533).
- Endicott has won four games in a row and ended Salem State's three-game winning streak tonight.
- During Salem State's three-game winning streak, the Vikings rattled off wins against Tufts (NESCAC), Babson (NEWMAC), and WPI (NEWMAC), who all play in top-tier New England conferences.
FOR THE FOES
- Jacob Lindland (Hamilton, Mass.) posted a team-high 20 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the floor (5-9 3PT, 1-1 FT).
- Sean Bryan (Lowell, Mass.) had 17 points, seven rebounds, three assists, and a steal.
- Drew Healy (Lowell, Mass.) brought down a game-high 14 rebounds to go along with five points.
- Alexander Santos (Lawrence, Mass.) compiled 11 points, while Rayshaw Matthews (Boston, Mass.) pitched in with 12 points.
- The Vikings won the rebounding matchup, 47-43.
Endicott (6-2) takes on Colby in the Salem State Tournament on Friday, December 29 at 5 PM. Salem State (7-3) takes on Clark University in its Holiday Tournament on Friday, December 29 at 7 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)