PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. — The No. 2/3 nationally ranked Endicott men's ice hockey team defeated Tufts, 8-1, in the consolation game of the W.B. Mason Winter Classic, hosted by Plattsburgh State, on Saturday afternoon.
The Jumbos got on the board first with a tally from Brian Brown (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) at the 15:01 mark of the first frame, but the Gulls responded with eight unanswered goals to secure the 8-1 victory.
Logan Day (Seminole, Fla.) tied the game up with just over one minute to be played in the first period. Then, the flurry of goals for the Gulls began.
Luke Rodgers (Clarkston, Mich.), Jack Musil (Hull, England), and Daniel Kucerovy (Bethel Park, Pa.) all found the back of the net in the second frame, while Ross Olsson (Billerica, Mass.) opened and closed the scoring in the third period. Josh Bowes (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) and Thomas Daniels (St. Louis, Mo.) also scored in the third.
Mark Specia (Ringwood, N.J.) got the start in net for the Gulls and made 19 saves to improve to 8-1-0 on the season. Justin Ketola (Esko, Minn.) came in during the third period and recorded six saves to close out the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 1-1-0 all-time against Tufts.
- Jake Simons (Coral Springs, Fla.) recorded a team-high three assists throughout the contest. It's the third time in his career he has had a three-assist game.
- Anthony Petrella (Hilton, N.Y.), Carter Horwitz (Tustin, Calif.), and Michael Heidkamp (Marietta, Ga.) each had two assists, while Daniels, Bowes, Rodgers, Olsson, Jason Kalinowski (Stamford, Conn.), John Carricato (Ridge, N.Y.), and Jack Kilty (Medway, Mass.) each had one helper.
- The Gulls held a 42-26 shot advantage over the Jumbos.
- Endicott also won the faceoff matchup, 37-24.
- Day was named to the W.B. Mason Winter Classic All-Tournament Team.
FOR THE FOES
- Peter Hatton (Double Oak, Texas) and Tyler Scroggins (Allen, Texas) assisted on Brown's goal.
No. 2/3 Endicott (14-1-1) and Tufts (1-9-1) meet again on Tuesday, January 9 for a 7 p.m. contest.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)