MEDFORD, Mass. — The No. 2/2 nationally-ranked Endicott men's ice hockey team tied Tufts, 2-2, in overtime on Tuesday evening.
The Jumbos jumped out to a 1-0 lead at the 15:03 mark of the first period on a tally from Brian Brown (Pembroke Pines, Fla.).
Brown netted his second goal of the game just 42 seconds into the second frame to extend the lead to 2-0. Endicott's Ross Olsson (Billerica, Mass.) cut the deficit in half with his ninth goal of the season under two minutes later.
The Gulls closed the gap and made it a tie game with a tally from Daniel Kucerovy (Bethel Park, Pa.) at the 18:28 mark of the third period. Neither team could find the go-ahead goal so the contest went into overtime.
Despite several chances on both sides, the final score remained 2-2 at the end of the overtime period.
Justin Ketola (Esko, Minn.) shifted to 6-0-2 on the season with the tie and recorded 27 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 1-1-1 all-time against Tufts.
- Recording assists during the contest were Kucerovy, Jason Kalinowski (Stamford, Conn.), Logan Day (Seminole, Fla.), and Josh Bowes (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada).
- Endicott won the faceoff matchup, 49-39.
FOR THE FOES
- Nik Nugnes (West Barnstable, Mass.) recorded 25 saves and is 0-5-1 on the season.
- Earning assists on the night were Tyler Scroggins (Allen, Texas), Cory Gottfried (Port Washington, N.Y.), Machlan Sawden (Old Lyme, Conn.), and Charley Borek (Durham, N.H.).
- The Jumbos held the slight 29-27 shot advantage.
No. 2/2 Endicott (14-1-2) travels to Nichols for a conference matchup on Friday, Jan. 19 at 6:40 p.m. Tufts (1-9-2) hosts Amherst at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 13.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)