RIVER FOREST, Ill. – The Endicott men's volleyball team saw its seven-match winning streak come to a close on Friday evening against Dominican University, 3-0, by scores of 25-11, 25-17, 25-21 at the Igini Sports Forum.
Meanwhile, Dominican extended its winning streak to 16 straight matches with today's victory (16-1). The Stars began their 2017 campaign ranked No. 13 overall in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Preseason Top-15 poll but after a 3-0 season opening loss to NYU on January 20, Dominican has been on the outside looking in despite posting an undefeated mark since then.
Troy Riorden (Fairport, N.Y.) and Daniel Toth (Glenwood, N.J.) led Endicott offensively with six kills apiece, while Bryn Lipton (Rockford, Ill.) contributed five putaways. Donovan Dey (Fairport, N.Y.) also had four kills to highlight the remainder of the Gulls' attack.
Chad Riorden (Fairport, N.Y.) dished out a team-high 13 assists and collected five digs, while his brother Troy paced the squad with six digs total.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's match only featured six tied scores and one lead change.
- The only lead change of the contest came in the third set.
- Endicott held a 3-0 advantage before Dominican rattled off five straight points and maintained at least a point gap up until the conclusion of the set.
FOR THE FOES
- Dominican set the tone in the opening frame of the match as the Stars registered a .667 hitting percentage (17 kills, one error, 24 total attempts).
- As a team, Dominican hit .378 (41k, 10e, 82ta).
- Luke Spicer (St. Charles, Ill.) notched a match-high 14 kills on 21 swings (.571) alongside two assists, one service ace, and eight digs.
- Mason Solbrig (Lindenhurst, Ill.) had nine kills on 12 attempts (.750), while Michal Kawa (Elk Grove, Ill.) followed with seven kills.
- Alex Coyne (Naperville, Ill.) ran the offense on a match-high 30 assists. He also tallied 11 digs to produce his second double-double of the season.
Endicott (11-9) hosts MIT in a non-conference match on Tuesday, March 21 at 6 PM. Dominican (16-1) takes on North Central College tonight at home at 8:00 PM (EST).