BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 9 nationally ranked New York University (NYU) men's volleyball team rallied from a 2-0 deficit against Endicott on Friday night to earn a 3-2 non-conference victory over the Gulls at MacDonald Gymnasium by scores of 19-25, 20-25, 25-22, 25-23, and 15-9.
Endicott took set one behind a match-high .421 hitting percentage, and led the whole way in set two before the Violets responded over the final three sets - which featured a combined 24 lead changes and six tied scores - to win its third straight match.
Troy Riorden (Fairport, N.Y.) and Bryn Lipton (Rockford, Ill.) paced the Gulls with 10 kills each. Ryan Sutherland (Fairport, N.Y.), Daniel Toth (Glenwood, N.J.), and Tim Fieseler (Bridgewater, N.J.) all chipped in with eight kills apiece.
Chad Riorden (Fairport, N.Y.) and Adam Dake (Victor, N.Y.) ran the offense on 25 and 22 assists, respectively, while Lipton also highlighted the defensive efforts with a team-high 14 digs to record a double-double.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- NYU is 4-0 in the all-time series versus Endicott.
- Donovan Dey (Fairport, N.Y.) added seven kills to the Gulls' attack in today's match. It's the 12th time this season Dey has had five or more kills in a match.
- Sutherland posted a .545 hitting percentage on his 11 swings. So far this season when Sutherland has notched six kills or more he has hit .545 or better (two other times: six kills, .625 | nine kills, .615).
FOR THE FOES
- Evan Lindley (Evanston, Ill.) led NYU with a match-high 22 kills on 39 swings for a .462 hitting percentage.
- Alex Li (Cupertino, Calif.) compiled 19 kills, four digs, and two block assists.
- Derrick Chiu (Cupertino, Calif.) had four kills, a match-high 44 assists and 16 digs, and three block assists.
The Gulls (18-10) host Regis tomorrow in their regular season finale at 3 PM. Endicott will also honor its three seniors - Sutherland, Toth, and Tyler Willgoos (Newington, Conn.) before tomorrow's match. No. 9 NYU (16-8) travels to Wentworth tomorrow for a 1 PM contest.