MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – Trailing 2-0 about halfway through the second period, the Endicott women's ice hockey team stormed back with three unanswered goals over the remainder of the contest to claim a 3-2 comeback victory over league foe Morrisville State on Saturday evening at the IcePlex.
Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) got the rally started for the Gulls with an unassisted tally at the 9:35 mark of the second period. Caroline Hughes (Andover, Mass.) then made it 2-2 at 4:18 of the third with her sixth of the year, before Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) put Endicott ahead for good with her team-leading 11th goal of the season at 15:37.
Gulls' netminder Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) also played a crucial part in the comeback, as the sophomore turned away 12 straight shots after Morrisville took a 2-0 advantage at the 5:41 mark of the second. In total, Jonsson compiled 23 saves in the win (12-2-1). Mustangs' goaltender Renee Schmaltz (Beaumont, Alberta) had 36 saves in the loss (17-3-1).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 3-1-1 in the all-time series against Morrisville State.
- Dynnea Bezona (Fairbanks, Alaska) tied for the game-high in faceoff wins with nine.
- The Gulls have come from behind to win in five games this season.
FOR THE FOES
- Much like Friday's game, Jessica Ujcik (Munich, Germany) scored to open up the match – this time at 15:15 of the first – while Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, British Columbia) followed with her ninth goal of the season at the 5:41 mark of the second.
- Stephanie Strymecki (Kelowna, British Columbia) picked up an assist (18th of season), and tied for the game-high in faceoff wins (9).
Endicott (18-3-1, 9-1-0 CHC) hosts Salve Regina University on Tuesday, February 7 at 7 PM. Morrisville State (17-3-1, 7-1-0 CHC) travels to Stevenson for a weekend series on Friday, February 10 and Saturday, February 11 at 4 PM and 3:30 PM, respectively.