BEVERLY, Mass. – The No. 9 nationally ranked Endicott women's hockey team scored once in every period to defeat Southern Maine, 3-0, in the season opener for both teams on Saturday night at Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.), Lauren Ferraiuolo (North Haven, Conn.), and Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) all found the back of the net in that exact order per period in the win. Ferraiuolo highlighted the trio with her first career collegiate at the 19:00 mark of the second with hard slap shot from the left point.
Meanwhile, Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) made 24 saves to register her 15th career shutout.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls are 2-1-0 against Southern Maine, winning the last two contests.
- Endicott outshot the Huskies, 48-24, and won the faceoff matchup, 30-21.
- Both teams combined for 33 blocked shots (17 Endicott, 16 Southern Maine)
- Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.), Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.), Madison Huber (Pittsburgh, Pa.), and Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) all had assists in the victory.
- Endicott is 3-0-0 in season openers.
- Lustenring blocked a game-high five shots.
FOR THE FOES
- Britney Evangelista (North Smithfield, R.I.) made 45 saves in the loss (0-1-0).
- Julia Ormsby (Barre, Vt.) blocked a team-high five shots and won a game-high 13 faceoffs.
- Jensen Hamblett (Colchester, Vt.) paced the team in shots with four.
No. 9 Endicott (1-0-0) hosts Salem State University on Wednesday, November 1 at 7 PM. Southern Maine (0-1-0) travels to Plymouth State University on Friday, November 3 for a conference tilt at 6 PM.
(Photo credit - David Le '10)