BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott women's ice hockey team hosted Morrisville State for a Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) contest on Friday evening and were handed a 3-1 loss.
The Mustangs got on the board first with a goal from Maddison Devlin (Campbell River, B.C.) at the 15:39 mark of the first period.
Maria deWilde (Caistorville, Ontario) made the score 2-0 in favor of Morrisville at 7:09 of the second frame.
Endicott responded in the third when Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) netted her seventh goal of the season at the 8:28 mark.
The Gulls continued to battle but Morrisville's Claire Newman (Burlington, Ontario) tallied a goal with less than three minutes remaining in regulation to secure the victory.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) shifted to 12-3-1 on the season and made 18 saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Earning assists on Layo's goal were Lauren Ferraiuolo (North Haven, Conn.) and Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska).
- Endicott held a 44-21 shot advantage over Morrisville State.
- Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) had a team-high seven shots, while Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.) was close behind with six.
- Layo led the team in faceoff wins with 11.
FOR THE FOES
- Karoline Arvik (Trondheim, Norway) improved to 12-7-3 and recorded 43 saves.
- Taylor Finnie (Kamloops, B.C.), Kimberly Hughes (Lloydminster, Alberta), Alexziz Giannamore (Pittsburgh, Pa.), and Devlin each had an assist during the contest.
- Devlin led the team in shots with five.
- Giannamore had a team-high 13 faceoff wins.
Endicott (17-3-2, 8-1-2 CHC) and Morrisville State (12-7-3, 7-0-2 CHC) meet again tomorrow, Feb. 10 at 3:30 p.m. in Raymond J. Bourque Arena. Prior to the game, the Gulls will honor seniors Alicia Steeves (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.).
(Photo Credit - Nick Grace)