EWING, N.J. – The Endicott women's lacrosse team traveled to the campus of The College of New Jersey to face No. 16 William Smith in the first round of the NCAA DIII tournament this afternoon. The Gulls were ultimately handed an 18-8 loss.
The Herons took an early 1-0 lead in the first minutes of the game but the Gulls responded with two goals from Meghan Dutchyshyn (Cheshire, Conn.) and one tally from Olivia Larson (Cheshire, Conn.) to gain a 3-1 advantage.
Williams Smith then went on an eight-goal run before Endicott's Allie Lawlor (York, Maine) found the back of the net with 22 seconds remaining in the first half to cut the deficit to 9-4 heading into halftime.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Bella Rino (Northborough, Mass.) got the start in net and recorded seven saves. Alexandra Rose (East Lyme, Conn.) finished out the game and made five stops.
- Dutchyshyn, Lawlor, and Lacroix led the Endicott offense with two goals each.
- Lawlor and Gabriella Prisco (West Haven, Conn.) each recorded three caused turnovers during the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- William Smith now leads the all-time series 1-0.
- Melissa Moore (Dedham, Mass.) recorded a team-high seven goals and one assist for eight points on the afternoon.
- Jules Kennedy (Winthrop, Mass.) improved to 12-2 on the season and made one save. Olivia Hofmann (Oshawa, Ontario) came in during the second half and recorded two saves.
Endicott (14-4) wraps up the 2018 season with the loss. William Smith (15-4) advances to play No. 1 TCNJ in the second round, tomorrow, May 13 at 1 p.m.
(Photo Credit - Nick Grace)