BEVERLY, Mass. - The Endicott women's soccer team remained undefeated in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play on Saturday evening, taking down Western New England (WNE) 3-0 to improve to 2-0-1. Endicott, now 5-3-1 overall, is off until Saturday when they play host to cross-town rival Gordon at 1:00 p.m.
Endicott got the scoring started early when Hannah Pesci (Windham, N.H.) scored in the eighth minute. Pesci buried a beautiful cross from Larissa Cade (Middlefield, Conn.) to give the Gulls the 1-0 edge at the 7:24 mark.
Cade then doubled the Endicott lead roughly 10 minutes later as she scored her fourth of the season 16:51 into the first half. The sophomore was able to run on a perfect headed pass from Rachel Hanna (Chelmsford, Mass.) down the left sideline and took one touch before rifling a shot past the WNE keeper to give Endicott the 2-0 edge.
The scoring would stay quiet until mid-way through the second half when Pesci would score her second of the evening. Hanna & Sharlotte Pernice (West Springfield, Mass.) worked a beautiful give and go in which the ball was dropped, then one-touched through to Pesci who took one touch herself and notched her third of the season.
Shelby Elwell (Litchfield, Conn.) made four saves in the win, earning her third shutout of the season, and improving her record to 4-1-1.
BEYOND THE BOX
- For Pesci, the two-goal effort against Western New Englad was the second of her career. As a freshman last season, Pesci also scored two in the team's 4-0 win over the Golden Bears.
- Hanna's two assist effort was the first multi-assist match of her career.
- The shutout helped lower Elwell's goals against average to just 0.67 in 2017.
FOR THE FOES
- Keeper Alex Lemekha (Stamford, Conn.) made six saves in the setback as her record fell to 4-5-1 overall.
- Morgan Smith (Manchester, Conn.) led the Golden Bears with two shots, both of which were on goal.
Endicott is off for a week until they play host to Gordon next Saturday, October 7 at 1:00 p.m. Western New England returns to play on Tuesday when they travel to Western Connecticut State for a 4:00 p.m. start.