BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott baseball team broke school records for at-bats (53), runs scored, hits (27), RBIs (24), and total bases (41) in tonight's 28-4 victory over Gordon College in the opening round of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament at North Field.
Anthony Serina (Portsmouth, R.I.) also put together a historic night at the plate for the Gulls by establishing program records for runs scored (six), hits (five), and RBIs (eight). The senior designated hitter finished with a 5-for-6 line at the plate, which included one single, two doubles, a pair of opposite field homers, two walks, and three stolen bases.
Meanwhile, Endicott had 13 other student-athletes notch at least one hit in the matchup to break the previous program record of 23 set on April 14, 2003. Classmate Josh Drew (Intervale, N.H.) highlighted that group with a 2-for-4 showing at the dish, to go along with two runs scored and a career-high four RBI.
Junior right-hander Eric Nagle (Manchester, Conn.) earned the win (2-0) on two scoreless innings out of the pen (1 H, 0 BB, 1 K), while JJ Branch (Milford, Mass.) was dealt the no-decision in his 11th start of the season (4 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 6 BB, 4 K).
Gordon's Matt Amore (Pequannock, N.J.) took the loss over 1 1/3 innings pitched (4 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K).
The Gulls scored at least one run in every inning, and also produced runs of four or more in the second (6), third, fifth (5), sixth, and eighth (5) innings, respectively.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Gulls are now 33-8 in the all-time series versus Gordon.
- Endicott tied the single-game walks (12) and doubles (8) records tonight.
- Cody Hall (Rutland, Mass.) led all student-athletes on the squad with a career-high three walks (1-for-4, 3 runs, 1 RBI).
- Chris Seidl (Dracut, Mass.) was 3-for-4 with two runs scored and three RBI out of the fifth spot in the lineup.
- The Gulls are now 13-7 at home this season with tonight's win.
- Cam Farnham (Andover, Mass.) tied his career-high for hits (4-for-4), scored three runs, and walked once.
FOR THE FOES
- Addison Tarr (Oxnard, Calif.) gave Gordon a 1-0 lead in the top of the first with an RBI double to left center before the Gulls poured it on offensively.
- Dean Demers (Sandy Hook, Conn.) collected the only multi-hit game for the Fighting Scots (2-for-4, 1 run) from the leadoff spot in the order.
- Travis Benoit (Worcester, Mass.) drove in a team-high two runs in the loss.
Second-seeded Endicott (27-13) hosts fourth-seeded Salve Regina (22-15-1) in game six of the CCC Tournament at 3 p.m. Fifth-seeded Gordon (19-18) welcomes sixth-seeded Curry (12-23) to its campus tomorrow in an elimination game at 3 p.m. The Fighting Scots will be in search of their single-season program record 20th win tomorrow versus the Colonels.