BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott baseball team fell to Bates College, 10-4, in non-conference action on Sunday afternoon at North Field.
Anthony Telesca (Holtsville, N.Y.) picked up the win (1-1) on five innings pitched, seven hits, two runs (both earned), three walks, and one strikeout.
Alexander Mandrus (Acton, Mass.) suffered the loss (0-1) over 1 1/3 innings of work, four hits, five runs (all earned), two free passes, and a punchout.
After Mandrus was pulled, Will Bryant (Cumberland, Maine), Corbin Hyde (Lewiston, Maine), Bailey Train (Cumberland, Maine), and Victor Molle (Peabody, Mass.) went on to highlight Endicott's bullpen as each student-athlete tossed one scoreless frame out of the pen. Eric Nagle (Manchester, Conn.) also saved the bullpen from overuse as the senior right-hander bridged the gap for Hyde (7th), Train (8th), and Molle (9th) by throwing three innings of one-run ball from the fourth to the sixth inning.
Bates plated two runs in the first on a sacrifice fly and an RBI single before Eric Vilanova (Bridgeport, Conn.) busted the game wide open in the second with a bases clearing double to left center for a 6-0 advantage. The Bobcats added three more in the fourth to put the game out of reach (9-0) and tacked on their last run in the sixth via a Will Sylvia (Newton, Mass.) RBI single to left center for a 10-2 lead.
Offensively, the Gulls were led by Michael DeDonato's (Chelmsford, Mass.) RBI single in the fifth (9-2) and his solo homer to left field in the seventh (10-3).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Every student-athlete in the Bates lineup either recorded a hit or knocked in a run in today's win.
- All eight of the Bobcats' eight games have come on the road this season (4-4).
- Nick Berno (St. Albans, Vt.), Mike Kochiss (Fairfield, Conn.), DeDonato, and Michael Casciano (Somers, Conn.) all collected two hits in the loss.
FOR THE FOES
- Kyle Carter (Plantation, Fla.) went 3-for-5 with one RBI.
- John Dinucci (West Hartford, Conn.), Brendon Canavan (Carlisle, Mass.), and Jack Arend (Newfields, N.H.) all scored two runs for the Bobcats.
- Jack Shapiro (Sandy, Utah) closed out the ninth in 1-2-3 fashion (one groundout, two strikeouts).
Endicott (6-5) hosts Southern Maine on Wednesday, March 29 at 3:30 PM. Bates (4-4) travels to Husson on Tuesday, March 28 at 4 PM.