BEVERLY, Mass. — The No. 1 seeded Endicott field hockey team will host No. 2 seeded the University of New England (UNE) on Saturday, November 8 in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) tournament championship game at 1 PM. Here's a preview of Saturday's championship game.
FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The Gulls defeated the Nor'Easters in both of their regular season matchups. 2-1 (OT) on October 2, and 2-0 on October 22.
- Saturday's matchup is a rematch of the last two CCC championship matchups. Endicott won the 2018 meeting 1-0, and UNE won the 2017 meeting, 2-1.
- Either Endicott or UNE has been involved in the last nine CCC championship games dating back to 2010. In that span, they have faced off against each other five times with UNE winning three times and Endicott winning twice.
- Both Endicott and UNE are the two best offensive and defensive teams in the conference play. Endicott has only allowed eight goals in conference play, while UNE has only allowed 11. On the offensive end, Endicott leads the league in goals scored (44), UNE trails only by one with 43 conference goals scored.
- To earn their championship birth, UNE defeated Salve Regina 5-2, behind a Jillian Lachapelle (Gilford, N.H.) hattrick, and two goals from Julia Steeves (Skowhegan, Maine). Endicott defeated Roger Williams 4-0 in their CCC semifinal to earn their way to the championship game behind two goals from both Addi Williams (Pittsfield, Maine), and Kristen McCarthy (Danvers, Mass.).
The winner of Saturday's contest will earn a bid into the NCAA Division III Field Hockey tournament.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)