BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's basketball team posted an 87-78 conference victory over Western New England University on Saturday evening at MacDonald Gymnasium.
Endicott's featured three student-athletes with 20 or more points, highlighted by Matt McDevitt's (Cumberland, Maine) game-high 29 points. McDevitt was efficient all game as the junior forward went 8-for-13 from the floor, including a 4-for-5 line beyond the arc, and a 9-for-10 showing at the charity stripe.
Leading 59-57 with 8:02 left in the contest, Endicott found another gear as the Gulls produced a 21-9 run over a 4:45 span to turn away Western New England. McDevitt paced Endicott during the spurt with eight points, while Brown had six, and Echevarria had five, which included a three-pointer to start the offensive outburst at 7:49 of the half.
Billy Arseneault (Lynnfield, Mass.) also swished two free throws during the run. He finished the contest with six points, four rebounds, and game-highs in assists (4) and steals (2).
From there, Endicott held a double-digit lead over the Golden Bears until 51-seconds remained on the scoreboard, but by then the win was more than assured for the Gulls.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- McDevitt took over the second half via 21 points (5-8 FG, 3-4 3PT, 8-8 FT).
- McDevitt fell two points shy of tying his career-high of 31 set against the University of New England on December 5, 2017.
- Echevarria has now scored 20 or more points in three games during his freshman campaign at The Nest.
- The Gulls are now 16-8 all-time against Western New England.
- Today's game featured three ties and two lead changes.
- Endicott is 3-1 at home this season.
Endicott (5-3, 2-0 CCC) travels to Salve Regina on Tuesday, December 10 at 7:30 PM. Western New England (6-5, 2-1 CCC) visits Suffolk University on Saturday, January 4 at 3 PM.
(Photo Credit - Chris Lyons '23)