BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott men's basketball team defeated crosstown rival Gordon College, 88-86, in overtime on Thursday night at MacDonald Gymnasium.
Tied 86-86 with roughly one second to play in overtime, Gordon was called for an over the back foul on an attempted offensive rebound that resulted in a trip to the free throw line for Endicott's Matt McDevitt (Cumberland, Maine) and a chance to potentially win the game.
McDevitt didn't disappoint in the clutch as the Gulls' junior forward swished both free throws to make it an 88-86 contest. From there, the Fighting Scots put up a deep game-winning three-point attempt about one foot from half-court, but the shot was too strong off the backboard as it caromed hard off the rim, resulting in a dramatic victory for Endicott.
Keith Brown (Pelham, N.H.) paced the Gulls offensively with 31 points (11-25 FG, 5-13 3PT, 4-7 FT) to go along with a career-high seven steals, six rebounds, five assists, and a block.
McDevitt also contributed 24 points and six rebounds, while Jimmy Campbell (South Hamilton, Mass.) produced 10 points (5-6 FG), seven rebounds, and a steal in 11 minutes off the bench. Both his points and rebounds totals were season-highs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott leads the all-time series over Gordon, 26-20.
- Tied 47-47 with 13:29 to play in the second half, Campbell's efforts over the next 3:59 of play pushed the Gulls to a 59-54 advantage as the senior forward collected all 10 of his points and five rebounds during the run.
- Endicott overcame its largest deficit in a win this season (11 points, 4:49, 1st half).
- The Gulls outscored Gordon in the paint (38-30), off turnovers (22-14), and bench play (13-7).
- Tonight's game featured eight ties and 12 lead changes.
- Gordon led for 23:59 in tonight's matchup (Endicott 14:40 | Tied 6:21).
- Endicott won its second overtime game of the season (77-71, Salve Regina, 12/10/19).
- It's the most overtime victories for the Gulls since 2014-15.
Endicott (10-4, 4-1 CCC) travels to Curry on Wednesday, January 15 at 7:30 PM. Gordon (6-6, 1-3 CCC) visits Roger Williams this Saturday at 3 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)