BEVERLY, Mass. – Tufts University sophomores Brian Brown (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) and Nick Flanagan (Walpole, Mass.) both scored a pair of goals to lead the Jumbos to a 6-1 win over the Endicott men's ice hockey team on Saturday evening at Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
After David Lackner (Newport, R.I.) opened up the scoring at 5:17 of the first, Brown buried his first of two tallies at the 11:19 mark of the same period off feeds from Flanagan and Sean Kavanagh (Wilbraham, Mass.) to give the guests a 2-0 advantage.
Junior forward Patrick Lackey (Summit, N.J.) bumped the Jumbos' lead to 3-0 at 6:20 of the second with a shorthanded goal before Endicott freshman defenseman Carter Horwitz (Tustin, Calif.) broke up the shutout with his third goal of the season at 9:43. Lloyd Hayes (West Newbury, Mass.) and Jospeh Slovak (South Yarmouth, Mass.) both were credited with assists on the tally by Horwitz.
From there on out, Flanagan scored back-to-back goals at 12:01 and 14:31 of the second, while Brown closed out the scoring in the contest with his second of the game at 15:21 of the third. Brown finished the game with four points on two goals and two assists to lead the Jumbos offensively.
Tufts sophomore goaltender Nik Nugnes (West Barnstable, Mass.) stopped 40 shots to improve to 3-3-1 on the season. Endicott freshman netminder Kevin Aldridge (Beverly Hills, Mich.) had 24 saves in the loss (8-4-2).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's game marked the first-ever meeting between the two squads.
- Endicott is 1-2 this season against NESCAC opponents.
- Alex Marcinek (Byron Center, Mich.) went 12-for-17 in the face-off circle for the Gulls. Marcinek was the only student-athlete on either team to win 10-plus faceoffs on the evening.
FOR THE FOES
- Tufts is undefeated in its last four contests (3-0-1).
- Backup goaltender Ryan McConnell (Medford, Mass.) made four saves in 4:39 of action.
Endicott (8-4-2) hosts Assumption College on Tuesday, January 12 at Raymond J. Bourque Arena with the game's opening faceoff scheduled for 7 p.m. Tufts (4-4-3) welcomes Suffolk University to its campus on January 12 at 7 p.m.