SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – John Carricato's (Ridge, N.Y.) late second period goal proved to be the difference for the Endicott men's ice hockey team on Saturday afternoon at Smead Ice Arena as the Gulls claimed a 4-3 league victory over Western New England University (WNEU).
Tied 3-3 in the second, Carricato buried his second goal this season – and first career game-winner – at the 18:24 mark when he picked up a loose puck in the corner and carried it to the front of the net before sending a wrist shot past Kevin Gollmer (Flourtown, Pa.) for a 4-3 advantage headed into the third.
Endicott freshman goaltender Kevin Aldridge (Beverly Hills, Mich.) went on to stymie the Golden Bears' offense over the final 20 minutes of play making 11 saves to lock up the win.
The Gulls held a 3-1 lead at the end of the first as Parker Wood (Rochester Hills, Mich.), Thomas Daniels (St. Louis, Mo.), and Lloyd Hayes (West Newbury, Mass.) scored three unanswered goals over a 12 minute span (7:27-19:27).
WNEU responded with two goals in the second – coming from Carlos Ross (Brockport, N.Y.) and Tyler Pionk (Hermantown, Minn.) – before Carricato provided the game-winner.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Aldridge stopped 25 shots total to improve his record to 9-5-2 on the season.
- Daniels and Wood finished the game with one goal and one assist, each.
- Joseph Kaszupski (Henderson, Nev.) was credited with an assist on the game-winning goal, his fourth of the year.
- Endicott outshot WNEU, 42-28.
- The Gulls are 6-1-1 on the road this season.
FOR THE FOES
- Gollmer had 38 saves in the loss (0-1-1).
- Dane Genord (Grand Blanc, Mich.) scored the first goal of the game (third of the season).
Endicott (9-5-2, 5-1-1 ECAC Northeast) hosts conference foe Curry College this coming Thursday at Raymond J. Bourque Arena at 7 p.m. WNEU (1-13-2, 0-7-0 ECAC Northeast) travels to Becker on Monday for a conference matchup at 3:30 p.m.