BEVERLY, Mass. – The Endicott softball team welcomed the University of New England for a conference doubleheader on Saturday afternoon and the Gulls came away with a 5-4 win during the first game and a 10-2 victory during the second. Prior to the games, Endicott honored seniors Hayley Arduini (Southington, Conn.), Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.), Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.), Olivia Odermatt (Cheshire, Conn.), KK Palmerino (Glenmont, N.Y.), and Laura Somerville (Suffield, Conn.) for their hard work and dedication to the program over the past four years.
ENDICOTT 5, UNE 4
The Nor'easters jumped out an early 3-0 lead in the top of the second, however, Endicott's Peyton Atkins (Goshen, N.Y.) responded in the bottom of the inning with a solo home run to left field to make it a 3-1 game.
In the bottom of the fifth, the Gulls added four runs to gain the 5-3 advantage, fueled by singles from Carly Marchitto (Orange, Conn.), Odermatt, DeMilt, Hopgood, and Atkins.
UNE attempted a late comeback in the seventh by bringing the game within one run but the Endicott defense stood strong to secure the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Atkins led the Endicott offense as she went 2-for-3 at the plate with three RBI. Her home run was her first of the season and career.
- Hopgood also added two RBI during the contest.
- In the circle, Somerville earned the win to improve to 5-1 overall on the season (6 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO).
- Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) finished out the final inning to record her second save of the year.
- Sydnee Bessler (Everett, Mass.) shifted to 7-5 overall for the Nor'easters with the loss.
ENDICOTT 10, UNE 2 (5 INN.)
This time around, the Gulls struck first in the bottom of the first inning to take a 1-0 lead and never looked back.
During the second inning, Endicott extended that lead to 6-0 on a grand slam from DeMilt and a solo home run from Hopgood.
UNE broke the shutout attempt during the fifth as they scored two runs, highlights by doubles from both Sarah Lachapelle and Taylor Depot.
Atkins hit a three-run homer during the bottom of the fifth before Adrianna Favreau (Tewksbury, Mass.) singled up the middle to send in the Gulls' tenth run and end the game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Atkins once again led the Gulls offensively as she went 2-for-3 with three RBI and a home run.
- DeMilt and Hopgood were each 2-for-4 with a home run.
- DeMilt's grand slam was her first career home run.
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) earned the win and improved to 6-2 overall (5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO).
- Melissa Sprague (Londonderry, N.H.) was credited with the loss in two innings pitched, while Jordan Strum (Somersworth, N.H.) finished out the contest for the Nor'easters.
Endicott (18-4, 8-0 CCC) travels to Roger Williams for a CCC doubleheader on Sunday, April 14 starting at 12 PM. UNE (16-11, 5-3 CCC) hosts Wentworth, tomorrow, April 14 at 12 PM and 2 PM.
(Photo Credit - Nicolle Holcomb)