BEVERLY, Mass. – The top-seeded Endicott softball team posted two wins on Saturday during the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) tournament. The Gulls defeated Salve Regina, 9-1, in the opening game of the day and then handed the University of New England an 8-0 loss in the second contest to force a winner-takes-all Championship game on Sunday, May 5.
ENDICOTT 9, SALVE REGINA 1 (6 INN)
The Gulls started the game on a high note as they took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning off a home run to left center from Adrianna Favreau (Tewksbury, Mass.).
However, Salve Regina's Holly Kathios (Pelham, N.H.) hit a homer of her own in the top of the second to tie the game at 1-1.
Endicott exploded for five runs in the bottom of the second frame, led by a three-RBI triple from Gina DeMilt (Princeton, N.J.) to regain the lead.
The Gulls saw consecutive singles from DeMilt, Jamie Hopgood (Warwick, R.I.), Favreau, and Lauren Misiaszek (Londonderry, N.H.) and a double from Hayley Arduini (Southington, Conn.) to secure the 9-1 victory and advance in the tournament.
Maggie Oram (Lexington, Mass.) pitched all six innings for the Gulls and allowed only three hits and one earned run while striking out six batters.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leading the Gulls offensively were Favreau and Peyton Atkins (Goshen, N.Y.), who went 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Andi Nelson (Candia, N.H.) shifted to 17-8 in the circle with the loss.
- Courtney Latta (Lowell, Mass.) pitched the remaining 4.1 innings for the Seahawks.
ENDICOTT 8, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 0 (5 INN)
Favreau once again started out the game with a home run in the bottom of the first to give the Gulls the early lead and they never looked back the rest of the way.
In the fourth inning, Arduini hit a solo home run before Olivia Odermatt (Cheshire, Conn.) slammed a two-RBI homer out of the park and Hopgood rounded out the scoring with an RBI double to extend the advantage to 6-0.
The Gulls saw two more runners cross home plate during the bottom of the fifth to secure the 8-0 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Michaela Hamill (Lynn, Mass.) pitched all five innings for the Gulls and allowed six hits with two strikeouts.
- Odermatt led the Endicott defense as she went 2-for-3 with three RBI.
- Sydnee Bessler (Everett, Mass.) was credited with the loss for the Nor'easters, while Melissa Sprague (Londonderry, N.H.) also saw time in the circle.
- The Gulls are 24-2 this season when they score first.
- This is the 10th 30-win season in program history for Endicott.
Endicott (31-5) will host UNE on Sunday, May 5 at 2 PM and the winner of that contest will be crowned the 2019 CCC Champion and receive the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Softball Tournament.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)