SALEM, Mass. — The Endicott women's basketball team faced Eastern Connecticut State University at the Salem State Holiday Classic and came away with a close 54-51 victory.
Eastern Connecticut jumped out to an early lead during the first five minutes of play but the Gulls came back in the remainder of the first quarter to take a slight 14-13 advantage.
Endicott stretched that lead out to six points three minutes into the second frame, but the Warriors fought back to tie the game at 24-24 going into halftime.
The third and fourth quarters were much like the first two, with both teams battling for the lead. However, the Gulls were able to hold on to secure the 54-51 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Kaleigh Putnam (Wallingford, Conn.) paced the Gulls with 15 points, while Emily Pratt (Gardner, Mass.) was close behind with 14.
- Pratt also led the team in rebounds (9), assists (6), and steals (6).
- The Warriors held a 49-40 rebound advantage throughout the contest.
- Mya Villard (Cromwell, Conn.) recorded a team-high 19 points and also had 12 rebounds.
- Julie Jordan (Sterling, Conn.) led all rebounders with 15.
Endicott (6-5) hosts Western New England on Thursday, January 3 at 5:30 PM. Eastern Connecticut (7-3) welcomes Johnson & Wales (R.I) at 6 PM on Wednesday, January 2.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)