WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The Endicott women's lacrosse team opened the 2019 season with a 9-7 loss to Williams on Tuesday evening.
Endicott took a 1-0 lead less than one minute into the contest on a tally from Meghan Dutchyshyn (Cheshire, Conn.) but the Ephs responded quickly with a goal of their own to tie the game at 1-1.
Both teams continued to trade goals, as the Gulls saw Jennifer Lacroix (Wrentham, Mass.) score twice while Williams' Kara Wollmers (Houston, Texas) and Sophia Millay (Needham, Mass.) each found the back of the net once to make the score 3-3.
Throughout the remainder of the first half, the Ephs added three more tallies to take a 6-3 lead heading into halftime.
The Ephs opened the scoring in the second half when Emma TenBarge (Peapack, N.J.) recorded her second goal of the game.
Endicott's Julia Lantieri (Glastonbury, Conn.) tallied her first career goal to cut the Ephs advantage to 7-4 at the 21:02 mark before Madison Fulcher-Melendy (Easthampton, Mass.) pushed the Williams lead up to 8-4.
Endicott continued to pressure offensively during the last four minutes of the contest but Williams went on to secure the 9-7 victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Bella Rino (Northborough, Mass.) made several big stops throughout the game and ended with 14 saves.
- Kami Cisneros (Lakewood, Colo.) improved to 1-1 on the season with five saves.
- Wagner's tally was the first of her collegiate career.
- Molly McMahon(Hanover, Mass.) and Samantha Jones (Franklin, Mass.) led the team in ground balls with three each, while Allie Lawlor (York, Maine) and Nicole Anselmo (Natick, Mass.) each had a team-high two caused turnovers.
- The Ephs held a 30-18 shot advantage throughout the contest.
- Wollmers finished the game with a team-leading three goals.
Endicott (0-1) travels to Babson for a 1 PM contest on Saturday, March 9. Williams (1-1) is on the road at No. 9 Trinity (Conn.) on Saturday, March 9 at 1 PM.
(Photo Credit - David Le '10)